Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Travel Plans: Luoyang (洛阳)

After changing the date of the trip several times, Liza and I have decided to go to Luoyang this weekend. We'll be taking the K269 overnight train to Luoyang and we'll take a plane back to Beijing.

I've bought the train tickets going to Luoyang at the Beijing Main train station (Beijing Zhan, 北京站) last Sunday. A friend said there is a booth at the station where foreigners can buy tickets but I couldn't find it. I asked at the information booth where I can get tickets and she pointed me to the booth near platform 4 (on the second floor, in front of the booth for Tianjin-bound trains). The lady at the booth doesn't speak English but she was able to understand the information I wrote regarding the destination, train number, the kind of ticket and date that I copied online (good thing I brought that piece of paper with me!). Train schedules and fare can be found at www.huochepiao.com. There is no soft sleeper tickets available, so I got us hard sleeper tickets for 197 kuai each.

They are not selling train tickets for Luoyang-Beijing trains at the station. I'm afraid that we won't be able to get tickets going back to Beijing the same day so I asked CITS about it. They told me to contact their Louyang branch for arrangements. I want to be sure that we'll be back here in Beijing the following Monday so I checked around online and I was able to get plane tickets through elong.net. The plane tickets cost 440 kuai each with taxes included. They have delivered it the same day that I booked it.

We're all set! We are planning to visit the Longmen Grottoes (Longmen Shiku, 龙门石窟) the whole day then come back to Beijing on the 9 pm flight.

From Wikipedia: Luoyang (simplified Chinese: 洛阳; traditional Chinese: 洛陽; pinyin: Luòyáng) is a prefecture-level city in western Henan province, People's Republic of China. It borders the provincial capital of Zhengzhou to the east, Pingdingshan to the southeast, Nanyang to the south, Sanmenxia to the west, Jiyuan to the north, and Jiaozuo to the northeast.

Situated on the central plain of China, one of the cradles of the Chinese civilization, Luoyang was one of the Four Great Ancient Capitals of China.

2 comments:

  1. lucky for you...you live in China and you get to explore it...I have only been to Shanghai, Suzhou and Hangzhou and the last 2 are far better than Shanghai....I want to see your Suzhou blog, do you have it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sorry no Suzhou blog yet. I haven't been to Suzhou yet but it's definitely in the list of my places-to-go.

    ReplyDelete